Sunday, December 2, 2012

Weekend in New Delhi


This weekend S. and I enjoyed some of the best that New Delhi has to offer, including a great Cantonese restaurant near my hotel (I’ll be eating dinner there nightly next week), the Nehru Museum, Home and Library, the Gandhi Museum, the Jama Masjid, Asia’s largest mosque, and the beautiful Lodi Gardens, replete with beautiful trees and paths and several beautiful out-buildings.  A picture essay of the places follows.
I particularly enjoyed the Nehru Museum. As one of the founding fathers of India and its first Prime Minister, he was a fascinating subject to learn more about, including some letters between he and Gandhi, and his back story and private life (some racy parts, of course!)  The photos of him as a dashing young man and as a baby with a huge, funny hat caught my eye. As my friend Alikur always tried to teach me, study photos carefully to get the inside information on a country's history.  From this limited viewing, I am concluding this country loves a good hat.
Calligraphy Detail at Lodi Garden

Statue at Nehru's House

Silly Baby Hat of Nehru's

C, S, & G

Nehru as a Dapper Young Man

View of the Red Fort

Yummy Dumplings
Busy Kitchen open to for all to see...I gawked.

Men with Interesting Hats

2 comments:

  1. I vote for the hat on the end with the plume in front. :) Great outings.. especially the food. wonderful picture of the cooks...that would be cool to see them scurry around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see a shot of you and Steve. The calligraphy is stunning! Amazing statue at Nehru's home. Love the photo of the chefs in their hats.

    ReplyDelete