Sunday, December 9, 2012

Dave Brubeck, R.I.P.


A giant in the world of music has died, and left a legacy of some of the most joyful and rhythmic jazz I’ve heard, and some of my favorite tunes.  Dave Brubeck trained as a classical pianist, and was one of the original cross-over artists, moving easily from Mozart  motifs (BluesRondo-a-la-Turk) to Bach chorales (“Because All Men are Brothers” sung by Peter, Paul, & Mary) and swinging with the likes of Louis Armstrong in my favorite summer song of all time, aptly name “Summer Song”.   He was a great blender of styles and genres, and yet was an original.  His use of complex meters in music was both innovative yet quite accessible.   He believed strongly that jazz and classical music shared many elements.  “When you hear Bach or Mozart, you hear perfection,” Brubeck said in 2005. “Remember that Bach, Mozart and Beethoven were great improvisers. I can hear that in their music.”

Check out his biography online and you’ll see he led a rich, varied life that was reflected in his music. He was a champion of civil rights, integrating his famous Brubeck Quartet, and refusing to play in South Africa during apartheid.   Treat yourself to a listen of any of his beats and see why he was revered in many circles. Start with the most pleasing “Take Five”  in 5/4 time (Paul Desmond's beautiful tenor sax leading the melody) and don’t stop there. A couple of my favorite albums of his were Dave Brubeck: Vocal Encounters (with a varied cast of vocalists)  and the Best Hits album.  I am having an all-Brubeck day tomorrow in his honor.  What’s your favorite D Brubeck? I believe F. at 345 introduced me to his music, so gran merci for that.  If you’re not familiar with this gifted musician, don’t delay in having a listen and wondering why you’ve been a stranger.

1 comment:

  1. I concur. Brubeck is a delight to listen to. I must say that "Summer Song" performed with Satchmo is an all time favorite for me, not limited to summer! A great musician and he seems to have been a fine fellow as well.

    ReplyDelete