Sunday, December 2, 2012

Teacher Talk

Students with Posters about American life:  Rodeo anyone?


Students practicing a new strategy

Get Well Wishes from class

I’ve been in New Delhi for a week conducting teacher training for Madrassa teachers from the northern states of India.  They have come from both rural and urban areas, but for the vast majority of these students, I am their first American encounter.  It’s a bit sobering to have the responsibility to represent well for the country, but I feel up to it most days, and with this group











of teachers, it’s been a pleasure.  They are in fact the most appreciative group of learners I’ve had the good luck to work with, and the most polite.  I’m down with both of those sentiments; it makes everything else a delight in professional development, honestly.  Some of their English is not as developed as I’d like it to be, but it doesn’t deter any of them from giving their best effort every session, and that’s all any teacher can ask of their students.  I was sick one morning and had to hand off the teacher duties to my co-trainer, and when I returned there was a huge get-well card waiting for me.  Yes, it rocked to have students write stuff like,  “You are leaving an indelible imprint on our minds” and “I miss hearing your voice (maybe it’s time to hit them with a song?)” and “I want to be you”.  O.k., that last one made me laugh because I’m pretty sure that if they knew more about me, they would renege on that one!  Anyway, for you non-teachers out there, that’s why we teach.  It feels good to sometimes have students recognize you are working your butt off.  And for all the teachers in the crowd, I share this card’s sentiments with you.  Thank YOU for serving. 
Field Trip Enthusiasm


And more Enthusiasm

Speaking of students, check out the pictures of the hordes of young students on a field trip to the Nehru Museum that S. and I were visiting.  Pull out a camera and the kids always respond!  They LOVED yelling hello to us, but when either of us asked them anything or responded, they shrieked with laughter or ran off.  A couple of brave souls actually approached us with their 3-4 sentences of English.  They were so tickled to have someone to deliver that hard won dialogue to!

2 comments:

  1. Love the kids.. How nice they are to you with the comments. Well deserved I am sure.. take care and get strong this week..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teachers are lucky to have you for their first encounter with an American!

    ReplyDelete