Wednesday, May 15, 2013

April WAS Poetry Month

I missed getting this blog posted because I was on the road a lot of April, facilitating various workshops, three of which included ways to engage college students with linguistically challenging poems.  I discovered several new poems that resonated with me, and which I share below.  Emily Dickinson seemed to be speaking directly to me with her admonition of bluntness in "Tell All the Truth", I was moved by Rabinath Tagore's noble call to his country to live free (during the "Quit India" movement in mid 40s) in "Where the Mind is Without Fear", I again marveled at the genius that is Shakespeare, to me the Beethoven of poetry
, and enjoyed the discovery of an elegant poem by Pablo Neruda, which I'm going to try to keep in mind the next time I'm assailed by the onslaught of noise and chaos that is Jaipur traffic in hopes it will take me to a quieter place.

In case you're interested, there is a terrific website that has audio files of many well-known actors and poets reciting poetry.  It's a great way to pass time if your aging peepers give out on you in the evenings as mine sometimes do.  The link is: POETRY OUT LOUD.

Finally, if anyone reads to the end of the poetry, you will find some first lines of famous poetry.  See how many you can identify, or better yet, check out the poems.  The Indian curriculum is way too top heavy on British poets, but they were the colonizers, after all.  I did my best to promote Frost, Sandburg, Whitman, Dickinson, and the likes, however.  Do you have a favorite poem or poet?  Send it in a comment, I'd love to read it.

Also, just before the new poems, here's a poem by my favorite Iowa poet, Iowa Citian Marvin Bell.  He's such a sweet looking man, I always think of his face when I hear these in my mind. I love this poem with its vivid sensorial images that take me immediately to the pines in our backyard we could reach out and touch from the sleeping porch.  I'm glad poetry has a month; otherwise, I might forget how pleasing it can be.


Around Us

  by Marvin Bell We need some pines to assuage the darkness
when it blankets the mind,
we need a silvery stream that banks as smoothly
as a plane's wing, and a worn bed of
needles to pad the rumble that fills the mind,
and a blur or two of a wild thing
that sees and is not seen. We need these things
between appointments, after work,
and, if we keep them, then someone someday,
lying down after a walk
and supper, with the fire hole wet down,
the whole night sky set at a particular
time, without numbers or hours, will cause
a little sound of thanks--a zipper or a snap--
to close round the moment and the thought
of whatever good we did.
- See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16765#sthash.ysWRQB6P.dpuf




Tell All The Truth
Tell all the truth but tell it slant,

Success in circuit lies,

Too bright for our infirm delight

The truth's superb surprise; 


As lightning to the children eased

With explanation kind,

The truth must dazzle gradually

Or every man be blind.
Emily Dickinson

Where The Mind Is Without Fear
Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high 

Where knowledge is free 

Where the world has not been broken up into fragments 

By narrow domestic walls 

Where words come out from the depth of truth 

Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection 

Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit 

Where the mind is led forward by thee 

Into ever-widening thought and action 

Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake
Rabindranath Tagore

Keeping Quiet
by Pablo Neruda
Now we will count to twelve
and we will all keep still.
For once on the face of the earth,

let's not speak in any language;

let's stop for one second,

and not move our arms so much.

It would be an exotic moment

without rush, without engines;

we would all be together

in a sudden strangeness.

Fisherman in the cold sea

would not harm whales
and the man gathering salt

would look at his hurt hands.

Those who prepare green wars,

wars with gas, wars with fire,

victories with no survivors,

would put on clean clothes
and walk about with their brothers
in the shade, doing nothing.

What I want should not be confused

with total inactivity.

Life is what it is about;

I want no truck with death.

If we were not so single-minded

about keeping our lives moving,

and for once could do nothing,

perhaps a huge silence

might interrupt this sadness

of never understanding ourselves

and of threatening ourselves with death.

Perhaps the earth can teach us

as when everything seems dead

and later proves to be alive.

Now I'll count up to twelve
and you keep quiet and I will go.


A CONTEST!  

“Tyger! Tyger! burning bright”
“She walks in beauty, like the night”
“Let us go then, you and I,”
“I celebrate myself, and sing myself,”
“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.”
“Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?’” “Death be not proud, though some have called thee”
“I met a traveller from an antique land”
“Because I could not stop for Death,”
“Thou still unravish'd bride of quietness” 







2 comments:

  1. The Good-Morrow
    By John Donne

    I wonder, by my troth, what thou and I
    Did, till we loved? Were we not weaned till then?
    But sucked on country pleasures, childishly?
    Or snorted we in the Seven Sleepers’ den?
    ’Twas so; but this, all pleasures fancies be.
    If ever any beauty I did see,
    Which I desired, and got, ’twas but a dream of thee.

    And now good-morrow to our waking souls,
    Which watch not one another out of fear;
    For love, all love of other sights controls,
    And makes one little room an everywhere.
    Let sea-discoverers to new worlds have gone,
    Let maps to other, worlds on worlds have shown,
    Let us possess one world, each hath one, and is one.

    My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears,
    And true plain hearts do in the faces rest;
    Where can we find two better hemispheres,
    Without sharp north, without declining west?
    Whatever dies, was not mixed equally;
    If our two loves be one, or, thou and I
    Love so alike, that none do slacken, none can die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't choose. Try listening to Richard Burton's recording of these & Donne's other love poetry.

    THE SUN RISING.
    by John Donne


    BUSY old fool, unruly Sun,
    Why dost thou thus,
    Through windows, and through curtains, call on us ?
    Must to thy motions lovers' seasons run ?
    Saucy pedantic wretch, go chide
    Late school-boys and sour prentices,
    Go tell court-huntsmen that the king will ride,
    Call country ants to harvest offices ;
    Love, all alike, no season knows nor clime,
    Nor hours, days, months, which are the rags of time.

    Thy beams so reverend, and strong
    Why shouldst thou think ?
    I could eclipse and cloud them with a wink,
    But that I would not lose her sight so long.
    If her eyes have not blinded thine,
    Look, and to-morrow late tell me,
    Whether both th' Indias of spice and mine
    Be where thou left'st them, or lie here with me.
    Ask for those kings whom thou saw'st yesterday,
    And thou shalt hear, "All here in one bed lay."

    She's all states, and all princes I ;
    Nothing else is ;
    Princes do but play us ; compared to this,
    All honour's mimic, all wealth alchemy.
    Thou, Sun, art half as happy as we,
    In that the world's contracted thus ;
    Thine age asks ease, and since thy duties be
    To warm the world, that's done in warming us.
    Shine here to us, and thou art everywhere ;
    This bed thy center is, these walls thy sphere.

    ReplyDelete