Saturday, January 19, 2013

Samode Palace


We decided to take a day-trip on Saturday to the nearby town of Samode, to check out a haveli [traditional type of house from Raj times] that had been featured in some Bollywood movies, and the country side in general. The simple exterior of this late 19th century palace is highly deceptive.  There are 3 levels of grandeur, one more gorgeous than the other, erected for a powerful noble of Jaipur. The noble could choose to hang out in the room where you play games, the room where you watch dancers, the room where you watch people in the other rooms, or rooms where one just sits and chills.  The adornments include mirrors, floral and geometric paintings of painstaking detail, marble, murals, and precious jewels.  I heard myself saying WOW over and over as I entered gorgeous room after gorgeous room, but after a while I just dropped my jaw and stared.  It was maybe the most ornate collection of jewel-like rooms I’ve seen, other than perhaps some places in Turkey.  And the architecture of a traditional haveli is so very cool as well, with its small door-like windows, arched scooped doorways, and the carved window screens.
The palace has been converted into a heritage hotel, and S. and I did some quick calculating, and we think we might be able to afford an overnight visit when it’s not high season.  Oh, and the setting is very quiet, very secluded, and very green.  We had lunch in the restaurant, which was also beautiful and delicious. There is beauty everywhere you look, but if I get to stay there, I’m setting up camp in the room with the mattress on the marble floor that allows you to lounge and listen to the fountain.  Not moving from there, I don’t think.  PHOTOS:  http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDFgrQf
I couldn’t click fast enough, so enjoy the splendor here: .  BTW, we all agreed this kind of luxury was made just for the likes of the Inscrutable Panda, so come back, and check it out. BUT......there are monkeys, and they are agressive-agressive.  We were trying to go up some stairs that would lead to a temple, when two monkeys swiftly appeared on the step before S. and one thumped him right on the chest, and refused to let him pass.  Thanks be to God that I was not in the front, I thought immediately.  Even at the back, I was freaking out.  Then 4 or 5 monkeys jumped over the branches above us in the trees, a baby monkey hissed at us, and everyone wanted tribute.  We had none, but we also were sure if we gave something, they would want more.  We beat a quick retreat and saw the beautiful Mughal gardens instead.  Whew.  I took those steps as quickly as my legs would let me, but they were quite sore from the Nike Training workout Abba and I did the day before.  Still, I went pretty quickly because those monkeys were scary.



No comments:

Post a Comment