Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"Let's Go Fly a Kite"


Our First "FOUND" kite on the roof

The Kite Festival was yesterday and we had a blast.  We awoke to loudspeakers of music from many directions, general cheers of “I killed it.” in Hindi, and one kite had already found its way to our backyard by the time we got outside. We got our gate-keeper to show us some moves on the roof (as Abba said, “He was in it to win it.”) then we headed down to the Pink City where hundreds of people were on the roofs enjoying the beautiful weather and flying kites.  Even though we didn’t have much success in getting ours to stay air bound, it was a relaxing fun day. We still have a few kites to try to hone our skills, but it’s not as easy as it looks. Funny thing that!
Here are some things we learned about kites.
1.     They are hard to fly.
2.     They are hard to string correctly.
3.     There are many kite killers in the sky.
4.     Lots of kites just appear in your yard during the day, as they are separated from their string and owner.  It’s a “Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers.” philosophy, although our driver admitted when he was young he used to write his name on his kite with a message to return it to him!
5.     Grown men are still quite avid kite fliers, and never really outgrow the sport.
6.     The smaller the kite, the easier it is supposed to be to fly it.  Supposed to be….
7.     Not enough women fly kites.  We added 2 to the number we saw yesterday for a total of 2.
8.     It’s fun to watch a skilled kite flier display their moves, like our driver and the gate guard.
9.     The Mary Poppins kite song “Let’s Go Fly a Kite” is still quite singable.
10. The kite-eating trees of Charlie Brown lore are not imaginary myths.
11.  It's a great excuse for a day off from work.

Here are some pics of the day: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDC5ioM



4 comments:

  1. I wish I could have seen/flown the kites! What a fun experience. Thanks, now I have Mary Poppins in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite songs... and I am a fan of Mary Poppins. This looks like fun...let's adopt this here.. I'd love a day off to fly kites... I am glad you got out there and gave it your all. Well done Greenleafs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just listened to that song yesterday in the car. :)

    LOVED all the pictures, i think my favorite was the kite-eating tree.

    Your list of 11 tips was fabulous. :)

    Kite flying is wonderful. I took Isa & Sylvia after church on one of our first times out together as a trio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I could think of as I read this was The Kite Runner....

    ReplyDelete