Sunday, March 10, 2013

INTERNET GOODNESS


I’m aware there are many parallel universes on the Internet, yet I’m always surprised when I fall into one.  While researching some topics for an upcoming teacher training, I found a few things to share. 

1.     GOOD READS:  I don’t know why I didn’t know about this website, because apparently one of my daughters told S. about it some time ago, but maybe I was out of the room when they were talking about it?  Anyway, it’s a place to keep a list of books you’ve either read, or want to read.  Their description is:  Goodreads is a free website for book lovers. Imagine it as a large library that you can wander through and see everyone's bookshelves, their reviews, and their ratings. You can also post your own reviews and catalog what you have read, are currently reading, and plan to read in the future. Don’t stop there – join a discussion group, start a book club, contact an author, and even post your own writing.  www.goodreads.com  I discovered the site because they also have great quotes by themes like empathy, leadership, etc.  I've always tried to keep a book journal, but I've always been unsuccessful. No more; I'm going to begin today to keep track of what I've read, and get responsible.  I was hoping there might be one of these places to keep track of movies, but I haven't seen it. Anyone else know of such a tool?
2.     http://www.presentationzen.com/presentationzen/  This is a blog I sometimes am able to get to, and it’s always interesting.  S gets credit for sending this my way.  This young boy who calls himself KID PRESIDENT has a good, short video in which he prods us to encourage others.  Check it out.
3.     Sesame Street and hip musician YouTube videos.  It’s been a while since I watched any Sesame Street, and a few things have changed since my kids watched it, like the Internet.  So now you can see short videos of artists like Will.i.am (thanks I. of Des Moines!), Feist counting her 1.2.3.4 song, and more.  I am also planning a workshop for elementary teachers in a couple of weeks and I was looking for some new beats.  Got them, and with video!
4.     www.Soulpancake.com “Our brain batter of art, culture, science, philosophy, spirituality, and humor is designed to open your mind, challenge your friends, and feel damn good.”  Actually, I did feel better after I watched this interview.  This is Rainn Wilson’s creation, and what I watched was very thoughtful, and very positive.  I’ll be back.  He interviewed a singer named Josh Ritter, who had also written a book.  Ok, so he’s got some talent.
5.     Sad news about South Dakota’s Legislature.  Maybe you didn’t see it, but South Dakota is the first state to legalize teacher’s ability to carry firearms to school.  Good grief.  Who the hell thinks that is a good idea that’s ever been around schools or educators or educational settings or teenagers or human beings?  REALLY????  As if teachers don’t have enough on their plates, now we have to be Wyatt Earp when the occasion calls for it? Shame on South Dakota.



Winter Quilts Taking some Sun before Storage
Spring is in full bloom here.  Enjoy the photos and take a deep breath.

2 comments:

  1. I checked out GoodReads through facebook a while back i think, and I liked it quite a bit. ...but our devotion to each other faded and we quit making time for each other and that, as they say, was that.
    Yay for Kid President!! His video is great.
    I will have to follow that presentationzen blog a little closer, I like that post they did on Flight of the Conchords.
    South Dakota, what a bunch of cowboys. If I have no interest in buying/carrying/using a gun in my personal/home life or day-to-day travels, why in the world would I be interested in carrying a gun while I'm in a school full of reckless teenagers?

    Yay for spring. Lovely clicks. Kudos for stopping to smell the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like best here is the way they air the quilts.... cool... and beautiful they are.

    ReplyDelete