Saturday, March 9, 2013

Happy Shivratri


Gajar Halwah, before consumption
Today is Shivratri, a Hindu holiday devoted to Lord Shiva (above). [Some say it's His and Parvati's anniversary.] The day is observed by fasting, and visiting Shiva temples.  In the market yesterday there were 2 things for sale, a small bag of various fruits to be used as an offering for a puja, and second, lots of carrots. Carrots, you ask? Well, here in Rajasthan at least there is a special treat in store for Hindus today, my favorite Indian dessert of all time, Gajar Halwah, carrot halvah.  According to my driver/cultural informant, someone made the rule that the fast isn't exactly a fast, because Hindus are allowed to consume gajar halwah once during the fast.  Hmmm, my kind of religion.  Second, my driver's family made their own rule that since they can eat it once, why not eat it as much as they wanted?  I'm not sure about the reasoning on this one, but I like the way his family thinks!  Any time you can turn some austere fasting into a dessert feast, I'm in. I have no idea if the rest of India connects the holiday with the carrot goodness, but I'm glad I'm in a state that has its priorities in place.
This delectable treat is made by grating lots of carrots, then adding sugar and that ever present ghee (clarified butter) and slowly cooking the concoction for several hours until it's so good you should definitely not eat directly out of the container, like I did and now I don't have any for today.

2 comments:

  1. I like carrots! so am making your Moroccan Vegetables today or tomorrow. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moroccan Veggies are on my list for the weekend. :)

    That gajar halwah sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete