Saturday, February 9, 2013

6 Long Days, and Salvation


Ok, maybe the title is a little dramatic, but consider that you’ve lost the power cord to your MacBook Air and the computer is out of juice and no one in your city has a replacement….Or DO they?  The day before we left for a long weekend trip I did just that, and for 6 days I not only didn’t have the support of my electronic BFF, but I spent several frustrating hours trying to figure out who had a replacement and how I could get it.  It was a test in patience and I got an F, a red F.  Abba quietly reminds me these are first world problems, but that’s the problem with transplanting a First World Gal to a not-first world setting; I still have expectations that are hard to shake.
There is a saga I won’t recount, but suffice it to say I was able to purchase (for a large wad of rupees) said power cord and the Maglite attachment needed to bring life back to my silver wonder.  And where did I find it?   Oh, at the same place where I originally went 6 days previous, only they didn’t know they had what I needed.  ARGGGGGGG. That took several calls to Delhi, and around Jaipur, until I got someone who was the store manager in another Jaipur Apple Reseller who was really in Delhi (don’t ask) who I could tell from the first sentence not only understood my pain but cared, and he was competent to boot.  Thank you, voice from Delhi, my delight in having the world at my fingertips again knows no limit.  While we’re at it, a shout out to Drop Box, without which I would have been at a work stand still.  If you are reading this and you don’t back up your files, rethink your wayward ways and repent by signing up now for Dropbox.
So how does one celebrate having your own computer back, especially as fun a toy as a MacBook Air?   For me, there is a special delight in a walk through the iTunes Store to hear what’s new and interesting. I indulged until the small hours this morning, and have a whole new playlist as a reward.  After watching the latest 2 GLEE episodes, both which were packed with great beats, I knew it was time for a late-night raid.  Actually raid is the wrong word, because the iTunes folks are only too happy to relieve you of some cash, and very quickly.  However, they are crafty geniuses, because they are slow in sending you the bill for purchases, and they spread them out so each one received delivers just a small pain, if any. Well played, Apple
Here are some tune recs for you in case you’re interested in a hunt yourself.  It’s so fun to start listening and see where it (or actually the software at the iTunes Store!) takes you.  I usually end up somewhere very different, and it’s always interesting.  A great way to spend an evening.
1.   “Tell Him”, by the Exciters:  If you haven’t seen the dance Brittany and that new girl did to this tune on a recent GLEE episode, you owe yourself a treat.  It’s hard to stay seated.  However, buy the original of this one, it’s so 50’s, and the arrangement is so right.
2.  “Everybody Talks”, Neon Trees:  I always love pop songs that are rowdy and have a heavy, driving beat.  They work well for workouts.
3.   “Girl on Fire”, Alicia Keys:  This gal’s talent is always on fire as far as I can tell, but I’m not a Nicki Minaj fan, so next time, stick to either JayZ or Solo, please.
4.   Bruno Mars, Bruno Mars, you have such talent and versatility….Last night I purchased “When I Was Your Man”, “Marry You”, “Count on Me”, and “Locked Out of Heaven”.  I will probably have to go back and get both of his albums.  It’s always an unexpected pleasure to hear a pop star who has a nice set of pipes and can deliver a song with the colors and nuance he can.  Bravo.
5.  FUN:  They are just that.   “Carry On” and “Some Nights” were last night’s bags.
6.  GLEE CAST VERSIONS of Hits:  “Blow Me One Last Kiss”, the better version for me.  This is a jump-up-and-down kind of tune, so get on your sneakers.  Also “Holding Out for a Hero”.  Love it; also a great workout piece.  Finally, “Let Me Love You”, which is sung by the beautiful creation Jake on GLEE.  Some people do really have the triple threat of musical comedy: the man can dance, sing, and is gorgeous.  Some people think the 3rd thing is acting ability, but you watch his guy on screen and tell me if you care if he can act or not.
7.  A.R. Rahman’s Greatest Hits:  The most prolific, talented composer to write for Bollywood movies ever.  He’s like an overachieving John Williams.  I love his songs, and every time a new Bollywood movie is released, every Friday, you hear the latest hit from the movie everywhere.  The mall, the gym, via the loudspeaker from the Shantytown next to our rooms. I would personally recommend the soundtrack from this year’s hit movie Jab Tak Hai Jaan, and if you are a Bangra dance fan, you need to purchase his rightly famous “Rang de Basanti”.  Keep the sneakers close.   If there were a Wii for Bollywood dances, I might have to purchase it.  I would miss dancing and singing with my Weber posse, though, but I could practice and perhaps impress them with my moves when next we click heels…..

2 comments:

  1. 1. i can empathize with you pain at a dormant machine and no power cord.
    2. firmly agree with your Dropbox shoutout. I love it. And it is up there with Evernote as my favorite cloud services. I just shared my love for them yesterday in a middle school iPad training.
    3. i need to spend some time getting caught up with the GLEE crew. I miss them.
    4. Can't wait to check out your music suggestions! I love love love new music tips! Keep them coming.
    5. I got a CD from the library called "Perlman Rediscovered" that I've been enjoying lately. I also checked out some albums from Otis Redding, and Sam Cooke. Great stuff.
    One great song that I learned of just recently and is great for Valentines:
    "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" - Roberta Flack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had time to listen to these today...Like Rang de Basanti.. I may have to buy that.. also listened to Jab Tak Hai Jaan some.. interesting. Thanks for the tips... and son... love Roberta Flack's song above,,, may have to buy also.. thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete